Sunday, October 3, 2010

Rest in peace


It has been four months since my mother passed away, making her the third in our family (after my dad and older brother Clint. Since we had the other two cremated and had never done anything with the ashes, we decided to put them in the coffin with my mother so that they would all be buried together. This last week they finally got the memorial put in place and Luana and I got out to the cemetary to see it and got a picture.

Things were happening so fast at the time of her death (we were going to Uganda in a week)that I never really got a chance to reflect on her passing. Now that I have more time, there are a few things that jump out. The first is that with her death, a generation has passed. Not only because both of our parents have died but also because she was the only surviving child out of ten in her family. It is really sobering to think that we are now the oldest generation in our line.

Secondly it is interesting how fragile bloodlines can be (I'm sure Henry VIII can relate). Now Jason and Robin are the only two left who can carry on the Sudan name from our line. I am in no way trying to put any pressure on them but only making a point.

Thirdly it makes one wonder about your own life and what impact you will leave behind. Certainly money and possessions won't matter except for some squabbling. But how will people remember me or will they even remember me? Am I making any kind of lasting impact on the lives of my family and the people around me? This second half of our lives has most us us transitioning from success to significance. It is no longer worthwhile just being busy doing things, even things for the Kingdom. I want to make sure that my time is spent on things of lasting value.

Lastly I find that now I do not hold on so tightly to this world and find myself looking a little more longingly at the next life (especially after my surgery and Luana's condition). No I am not ready to check out and I am not depressed. I still have a host of grandkids that I need to make sure grow up well and learn how to pitch and shoot baskets.

2 comments:

ellen said...

Thanks for posting, Artie. It was 6 months yesterday since my dad died and I find myself doing some reflecting also. We still haven't done anything with his ashes.
We are thankful he is not suffering, but miss him terribly.
We look forward to seeing you both, as always!

Mama Jeannie said...

Thanks for sharing your ponderings Artie. I'm sure you miss your mom and dad so much. I like what you said about in this second half transitioning from success to significance. Lord, help us make the most of our time for Your glory. Blessings on you and Luana.