Sunday, October 31, 2010

Father and son




























































































I am very blessed to have a son who is not only a great kid (man) but one who also enjoys the same things that I do (obviously it is possible to have a great relationship with your son even if you do not have similar interests). This weekend I took off Friday and left early with Jason to head to the Ouachita National Forest in southeastern Oklahoma. That's right, I said Oklahoma. You probably were like me and thought of Oklahoma only in terms of prairies and the dust bowl. Well there is a part that is truly beautiful with thick forests and real mountains and this time of year, fall foilage.













We loaded up all of our camping gear and headed out. The trail was really pretty and easy at first but then got tougher as we headed up Winding Stair mountain. As we headed back down we stopped and set up our tents, built a fire and ate. Then as wolves howled in the distance we gazed up at the pleathora of stars. The next day we hiked about 16-17 miles through pine and deciduous forests with lots of color, up and down mountains, across streams and ended at Cedar lake where we camped again. Jason kept the conversation going hitting me with questions from politics to religion and sports and to how I was treating my wife. I was more lighthearted with questions like what is the B in LBJ.













Finally we left Sunday morning and drove back along the Talihena Scenic drive, one of the most beautiful drives in the USA. See the pics.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Looks like y'all had a great time! So thankful you guys are doing fun things like that! I thunk this means that us girls need to take a shopping trip somewhere . . . . :)

Mama Jeannie said...

Gorgeous pics Artie!! What a wonderful trip with your son too. Makes me want to go to Southeastern Oklahoma and we have a daughter and her little family who live in them parts. :0)