Monday, May 17, 2010

My job is done
















This past Saturday my youngest daughter, Mary Beth, went across the stage at the Ferrell Center at Baylor University to receive her diploma and finish the task. That marks the end of formal university education for my children and also marks the end of my job as a parent. They are now all able to go out into the big wide world on their own and face the excitement and dangers that brings with it. They are all well trained and I am confident will do well in the exam of life.





Not that my job as a parent is really over. I still am Mary Beth's covering until she meets her knight and I am sure I have not doled out the last Shilling. But for the most part my job now is one of counsellor (only when asked) and encourager. Then of course there are the grandkids - that is another life in itself. Still, as I sung "That Good Ole Baylor Line" for the last time, I was nostalgic thinking that all four of my children graduated from Baylor; but then also thinking back to 33 years earlier when Luana and I walked across the stage as well ending a wonderful chapter in my life.

3 comments:

Christy said...

thank you dad for all of the wonderful experiences and opportunities that you gave us. your job is not done - it has just shifted! thank you for all you have done and i look forward to seeing you thrive in the roles that have now shifted!

ellen said...

Hey, Artie!
We went through the same with Andrew this weekend. Can't believe all of the kids have graduated! He is already at camp. Miss him. Read that MB will be in Uganda but also Dallas for a little while! Andrew is moving there too after camp is over.
Proud of you for all of those BU graduates! We have 4/5 in our house! But, we really do love our Aggie!

Unknown said...

And it's a good job you have done!