Sunday, May 30, 2010

More value

Today I was doing my usual Bible study and I have been doing Matthew this year. I was looking at chapter 12:1-8 and this is what I wrote.

b. The second situation is similar and involves a man who has a deformity which more than likely makes it difficult for him to work and make a living. This time they ask Him directly if it is lawful to heal on the Sabbath. Jesus again deflects the specific question and turns it to one of compassion. He says yes it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath. In fact it is always lawful
and we are encouraged to do good at all times. Again He shows them how disconnected their laws were from the true intent of God. They had written into the law that it was okay to pull a sheep out of a ditch (financial loophole). Jesus then states the obvious but what they had blinded themselves from, that people are much more valuable than sheep. But here is where it really hits home for us. We would instantly agree with this, as I’m sure the Pharisees would. But the real issue is when it comes down to our sheep (money) versus some poor person we do not know, do we really live like people are more valuable?

I hope you picked up on what I was trying to say and what the Holy Spirit was trying to implant into my heart. Theologically no one would really argue about the premise. But practically we often live our lives going after every lost sheep (here I mean money/possessions and not lost souls) rather than what we can do for those in this world who are hurting. He just pricked my heart with this today so I do not have it all figured out as to what He wants me to do and I would appreciate any thoughts you have as well. I also suggest you pray and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you what He wants you to do.

Here are some early thoughts. When a bill comes up in congress do I care more about how it affects my retirement account than I do about people who are in need? Does my checkbook (or Quicken account) reflect hoarding or consistent giving to people or agencies who are working for the poor and marginalized? This has nothing to do with conservative or liberal political philosophy. Is my prayer life devoted to my needs (spouse, family, friends) or am I standing in the gap for those on the wrong side of injustice? I could go on and on but I want you to reflect on your own ideas. I hope I have not ruined your day.

2 comments:

The Sudan Fam said...

Great Post. Convicting! Ill definitely be praying about this.
-J

Unknown said...

Hi, my name is Kurt. I'm a former collegue of Jason. He has become a really good friend of mine and a true blessing in my life.

I love this post. I think we are to examine daily what is important to us. He was the one who stated seek first the kingdom and ALL things will be added to you. He also tells us not to worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself. We are here to bring him glory; to establish his kingdom here on a fallen world. We typically worry about tomorrow because we wonder if our paychecks will get us through the month or if we will be able to afford X,Y,Z. My growth recently came and continues through seeking him alone each day that he allows me to wake and helping harvest those hearts who are not seeking him. Not that every single day is not a struggle. But he says he will guide us if we trust in him and him alone.

Blessed be His Kingdom!