Sunday, June 8, 2008

New thoughts




Well we did not do any major activity so I had time to think. I know that can be a dangerous thing but it just seems to come natural. Anyway, there were two things that came to mind this week.

The first relates to gift giving. I was going to visit Jason and got something he needed but had not asked for it. Then I also got some plants for Amy and was excited to do all of this without any prodding. I then thought of the verse in Matt. where Jesus says that if you being evil know how to give good things to your children, how much more does your heavenly father give good gifts to those who love Him. So I realized that God also loved to bless us with gifts even without us asking. As long as we love Him, worship Him and obey Him, then He loves to bless. This is not the prosperity gospel, no guarantee but the heart of God. Also I know that we are encouraged to ask and so I am not exactly sure how it all fits together. That is for another day of thinking.
The other idea came about as I was talking to an elderly patient who was bemoaning all of her ailments. I mentioned that the good think about that is one begins to get an eternal perspective. One sees that death brings a new body and no pain and that starts to look better and better. For a young believer who feels good the thought of heaven, while always something to look forward to, is not acutely appealing. So the more we break down the more we look to eternity and I think that may be one of the outcomes of the fall. Next time you have an ache or pain look heavenward.

2 comments:

Christy said...

thank you dad! i agree whole-heartedly. we don't realize how amazing heaven is going to be - but we in reality should be longing for it. i love too that our God is one who delights to give good gifts to his children. (speaking of children - i love the pics of my child - so cute!)
love you!
co

Mama Jeannie said...

I loved the pictures as well. I bet you are an amazing Grandpa Artie. So much Truth in what you said about the longing for heaven becoming more of a reality as we get older. Lord help those aches and pains to go away anyhow. :0)