Sunday, August 7, 2011

Rain...and other thoughts

It is time to get back to the original intent of mine in getting into the blogging world. For too long now all I have done is post pictures of what is going on in out lives. There is certainly nothing wrong with that but my goal was to have a platform to introduce thoughts and ideas that were floating around in my brain. So it is time to get back to that. No pictures today.
Yesterday in Houston at Reliant Stadium there was a prayer gathering for the state of Texas organized by Governor Rick Perry and attended by 30,000 - 40,000 people. People there and the 1100 churches that had live streaming called out to Jesus to send us rain and also to pray for forgiveness and healing in our land. Whatever you feel about Governor Perry (and I'm not sure how I feel about him running for President), you have to admire his willingness to take a bold stand for Christ and accept the political risk involved. But my aim is not to talk about him or the event but to talk about rain, prayer and general grace.
Those of us who live in Texas and really most of the country this summer are acutely aware of the excessive heat and the drought. One or the other would be bad but both together is a bad combination. I complain about it a lot and talk to my patients about it as it is very easy to talk about since it is not very divisive. Nobody is in favor of the drought or more hot days. But in reality I am pretty buffered from the worst effects - I work in air conditioned offices, have A/C in my house and am still able to water my yard. When I am out in it running or playing tennis, it is my decision. I really feel for those whose livelihood is affected by it all and I pray especially for them.
So should we pray for rain and if so how should we do so? Can we be bold and claim it or are we just at the mercy of God or high pressure systems. It is a sad state of affairs when we are praying for hurricanes to come through our state. Is the drought a product of pure chance, of global warming or is it a punishment from God? We will never be able to answer that question so we have to move forward and do what we can. I do not find any Scripture which would say we could not pray for God to intervene in the weather. And there are certainly examples where He does (stopping the sun for several hours in Joshua, and Elijah praying for rain). But unless He gives us a special revelation that He is going to intervene, we are going to have to be content with praying fervently, in masses and with fasting, but with the realization that He may have other plans. Rain is a part of the general grace that He pours out on the just and the unjust and when it occurs we often take it for granted and do not return thanks as we should. God desires our good but that is our ultimate good and not necessarily temporal good or what we think is good for us. He calls for us to be patient, to endure hardships, to help others who are affected by this, to seek Him, to walk humbly before Him and to be thankful even in the drought. By this we can use this time of drought and heat to draw closer to Him. So when we pray for rain let us pray for the wet stuff but also for the spiritual rain of the Spirit to fall down on us individually as well as our cities, state and nation. Let it rain!!!!!

No comments: