Sunday, August 14, 2011

Enjoying Him

A few weeks ago at Lifegroup I asked the question "What is the hope you are holding on to and is driving you?" I think it is a fair question to ask and one we need to answer. But as I heard myself answering it by saying that I was looking to a new heaven and a new earth where we will have work to do that is purposeful and unencumbered by the fallen world, I started asking myself whether this was right. Now the theology of it is true but is that the hope I should be seeking?
John Piper is prone to quote Jonathan Edward's statement that the end (or purpose) of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. And God is most glorified when we enjoy Him the most. As I think about this I realize that my hope should be to be in the presence of Jesus and simply enjoy being with Him. Now there is a subtle but important distinction that needs to be made. Many of us enjoy the hand of God and His gifts and are even thankful for them and that is good and right. Just last month when Jason and I were in Idaho we had many aha moments where we were just amazed at the glory of God's creation. We would just stop and worship Him. But that is different from being enthralled with Him just for who He is and not for what He has done.
This is a much more difficult thing for me to do but I am working to get there. Part of that is learning how to practice the presence of God on a continual basis. Another part of that is during quiet times when I just imagine times with Him (not as much being held by Him as that seems too feminine) such as walking through the woods or sitting on a bench in a garden. For this I love the old hymn "I Come to the Garden Alone". At other times I try to just imagine His glory and majesty and falling on my knees in His presence. This is definitely a work in progress and if any of you have any other thoughts or suggestions on this idea then feel free to let me know.

No comments: