Saturday, April 4, 2009

Initial thoughts on Bypass Surgery




It has been a while since I have blogged and my plan was to talk on our trip to Italy. But that ( as well as many other things) will have to wait. As most of you already know, I just had heart bypass surgery on March 31st. Most of you were like me asking how in the world could I have coronary artery disease, not to mention six blockages. Well let me address this first. There is really no reason in the natural that I should have. I have none of the major risk factors (family history, diabetes, hypertension, smoking, elevated cholesteral) and I exercise regularly and am not overweight. The only minor glitch is a low HDL or good cholesteral. Mine was 31 (normal over 40) but my total cholesteral was only 129. But be that as it may, I do have CAD, despite my best efforts to deny it and I had a CABG and so I will have to deal with it. Hopefully I will be able to learn from it, draw near to God and learn what God wants to teach me through this.




Next is the nitty griddy. I am thankful that God has given people the knowledge and ability to do these surgeries but trust me, it is not something you want to do unless you have to. My cardiologist, thoracic surgeon and the nursing personal were all great, but you can't hide the fact that you rip the chest open and abuse every orifice. First of all they remove all modesty as they shave all of your body hair. Then you lose all sense of control over anything that goes on. When you wake up, you have 1-3 chest tubes which for those who have had them know what pain means. Medevil torturers could not have invented a better torture - thank goodness for Morphine. Every single breath hurts for 24/7 and then when you are moved the pain is excruciating. Fortunately they were removed after two days and remarkably the rest of the surgery is not very painful. And after the first two to three days when you can get up and move the recovery is pretty quick.




Lastly, tonight I just want to interject a few things but over time I hope to have more deep inspirational thoughts. First is that God was very gracious to me and my family that I did not die one of the times on a long run when I would get chest pain or on the tennis court. Secondly, I feel that God has something specific left for me to do. I know that He has a plan and purpose for all of us, but I think this is something more. And lastly let me say how humbled I am for the outpouring of love that has been shown to me and my family this past week. It is incredible to see the love of God manifested through the lives of His people. And for that I am thankful.

10 comments:

Christy said...

dad -
you do look like jason bourne! i am so thankful that you are home and doing well. we love you and look in anticipation at what God is going to do with you. love you!
christy

Marci said...

Dr. Sudan, I am a friend of Jordan and Christy at MP and just wanted to say...thanks for the honest account of your surgery, it was interesting to read and I am encouraged by your progress! My father had triple bypass surgery about ten years ago, and I still remember the pillow he had to hug when he coughed. I always cringed imagining the pain that caused for him. You are in our prayers for a speedy recovery! Marci (and Tim) Diehl

Unknown said...

Dr. Sudan, there really isn't anything to say other than, 'wow'. I was one of the many who said, "there is no way someone like Artie could be having bypass surgery (6x over)." I think I told Mr. Wayman that you put more effort into beating Jason at ping pong than most people put into a given week, so how could a guy who could run circles around most be having heart surgery. I echo your thoughts...God MUST be up to something with you. He has already used you in MIGHTY ways (as our family can attest to) and He must have a lot more in store for you.

Hearing about you made me realize how often I take for granted those that have TRULY made an impact in my life...and you are one of them. Your EXAMPLE, your HUMBLENESS, your THIRST for God's word and insight, your love for the CHURCH and your LOVE for your family all have served as a 'cookie cutter' for my life when I look at those on this side of heaven to emulate.

Now that I have seen your shaved chest and battle scar, there is not a more fitting comment than to say, YOU ARE THE MAN.

With all my respect and love,

K-Was (on behalf of the Wasemiller family)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mama Jeannie said...

Artie, Darrell and I were shocked when we got home from Flower Mound yesterday and found out that you were HOME!!! Amazing! We've been and will continue to pray for you, Luana, and your whole family. May God continue to be glorified and may He bless the work of your hands in every way. Yes, God definitely has so much ahead for you. I believe that with all my heart. So glad you are mending and healing well. We'll try to see you very soon. I trust each day will bring with it more strength and comfort; more supernatural insight into the ways and purposes of God. What a great testimony of His grace, protection and loving-kindness you have! Our God is good for sure, isn't He?

Amy Marable said...

Dad, I love you so much! I am so thankful that God spared your life! I can't wait for emery to meet her "coach"!
I love the ROme pictures too!
much love, amy

Unknown said...

Artie, glad you are doing so well.

Anonymous said...

UA, your surgery scar is beautiful and wonderful to me! because it reminds me of Gods amazing grace!you have changed my life in sooo many ways! you loved me when i didnt love myself, you believed in me when i didnt believe in myself! you are my hero UA! i am so blessed to have you in my life!i love you 4 all eternity UA!

ellen said...

Artie, we are so glad you are home. We continue to thank God for you and for the fact that He protected you all of the months prior to the surgery. He does have something special in mind for you!And of course, I am not shocked at all to see the picture of your scars! Love you!

bdmabry said...

Artie,
Those are some amazing photos! You are such an amazing guy as well. I am glad that you had such a wonderful time in Italy before having such a shocking experience with by-pass surgery. You have shown how to be content in all situations, the good, the beautiful and the scary. love you lots, Betsy