Thursday, April 23, 2009

CABG Update




Well for those of you who were wondering, I thought I would give you an update on my condition. Attached are the diagrams of my cath and the bypasses. For those of you who are astute, you will see only five. He left one of them off on the diagram, but you still get the picture - my heart looks like an old piece of equipment put back together with duct tape and hoses.


I am now a little over three weeks out and am feeling well. I am walking 30 minutes twice a day and really have no pain, except if I cough or sneeze. My appetite is good but I lost about 9 pounds and have not yet been able to gain any back.


Some may ask what I do all day and it is a little embarrassing. First you must realize that everything goes in slow motion after a surgery like this , so what I could do in two hours normally, takes me all day. A lot of the time is spent eating, then going for my walks and then taking a mid morning and mid afternoon nap. I never used to take naps. I have done some reading and thanks to those who have sent books, and done a lot of correspondence on the computer (and blogs). We have been doing some financial counselling through our church. I am trying to keep the garden going (though I can't do much). All in all it sounds pretty weak and pathetic - I agree.


I am planning on going back to work next Monday, starting with half days and see how I do. I have been doing some paperwork throughout this time to try to keep up and help out. I have been so humbled by the amazing outpouring of love and support during this time. So many have brought food, books, flowers, driven me places, prayed for us, called to check up and so much more. It is so hard to keep receiving all the time and not be able to do anything in return. But God is showing me the importance of being able to receive graciously, and what it is like to be needy. I have always been so self reliant, but this has really pulled the rug out from under me, and allowed me to see where my true reliance needs to be. Pray that God continues to teach me during and through this trial.

1 comment:

Mama Jeannie said...

Artie, I am just now catching up on your blogsite. I responed to the one above this, but want you to know that Darrell and I are so glad you and Luana are our friends. As God is teaching you, so I am learning. Thank you for being so transparent and for allowing God to speak through you to the Body of Christ some much needed lessons. You'll be up and runnin' in no time I'm sure. I guess by now you have worked half days for over a week, haven't you? I trust all is well as you help others be well too. Will get back to you on our FPU counseling session. Please pray for us, OK?