Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011



The only one who did not like Thanksgiving

Luana and MB



Me and my beautiful bride. Can you believe how beautiful she still is at age 56?







Alejandro and Lu





Lu's father, Neighl









Stephanie











Me and my older brother, Phil















Me and my sister, Ginny













Lu and her sister, Cathy




















My brother-in-law, Bruce
















Anna Lee























Ginny with MB



















This Thanksgiving was the year that our kids went to their in-laws so we went down to Austin to be with Luana's sister and her family. They are a sweet family and have a beautiful house in the Lakeway area and it is very amenable to entertaining. But what looked to be a small intimate gathering turned into a big group. Mary Beth was able to come and brought her boyfriend, Alejandro. Then Luana's father and his wife, Bettye, were able to come from Dallas. And to top it off my brother, Phil, and my sister, Ginny and her husband Bruce, drove up from Houston.



It was a gorgeous day and I got to take a long walk with my sister and then later with my brother. Those are some of the best times as we are able to share our hearts and to encourage each other and even at times to gently rebuke/challenge each other. I love that we have that kind of relationship. Alejandro got to meet all of Mary Beth's aunts and uncles in one setting and he passed the mustard. He even got to experience a little bit of the Sudan competitiveness the night before as we played a game of Scrabble.




Aside from that, the food was excellent and it was a collaborative effort nicely engineered by Cathy. There was football to be watched, and a lot more visiting. Mary Beth entertained us with pictures from her year in Uganda.




But more to the point is that we have a lot for which to be thankful to our wonderful God. We have wonderful and healthy kids who are all pursuing Jesus and have 6 beautiful grand kids. I have a good job and we are not financially stressed. We are a part of a vibrant church and have an incredible community to walk through life with. But I am also thankful that Luana, now three years into her battle with Alzheimer's, is doing amazingly well and she is at peace with her situation. And on top of that, my recurrent chest pains that I have been having for the past two years have miraculously disappeared. My prayer is that you are thankful as well.

1 comment:

ellen said...

Praising the Lord for all that you have said! Amen! So excited about the chest pains disappearing! What a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!
Andrew was in Austin and Emily in Knoxville, and we have had a special time with Amy!
Counting you and Luana and your family at the top of the "what we are thankful for" list!